By Rhonda Baillargeon, LVT
All I Want For Christmas Is ...
- Puzzle bowls - These bowls are made in such a way that it is difficult to get the food out of them. Some pets eat their food much too fast and these bowls are a way to slow them down. They also make meal time a little challenging to provide some enrichment for pets that may be home alone all day while their families are at work or school.
- A new toothbrush - It is recommended that pet parents brush their pets’ teeth frequently to help reduce the incidence of dental disease. A new toothbrush with dog or cat friendly tooth paste and the commitment to use them at least weekly is a gift that can provide benefits all year long.
- New ID tags - Have you recently moved or changed your phone number? Did you think to update the information on your pets’ ID tags? How about updating the information linked to his or her microchip? Consider these actions as a matter of course annually and the holiday season is a good time.
- New food bowls and litter boxes - Many of these items are made of plastic which is easily scratched. These scratches can be ideal places for bacteria to hide. The presence of bacteria can cause odors to remain even after thorough cleaning. Plastic bowls can even cause infections in the mouth and on the chin of animals eating from them.
- Scratching posts or new leashes and collars - These items can become worn out with repeated uses so consider replacing them for the holidays.
- Pet Insurance - There are many affordable plans available and the coverage can help your fur baby stay healthy all year round.
- Toys and treats - Of course we will get them new toys and treats because that is what the holidays are all about! Remember to keep safety in mind and select toys that cannot be broken and potentially swallowed. Also keep diet restrictions in mind when choosing new treats - it is terrible to get a new treat for Christmas but not be able to enjoy it because it can cause illness.
Be safe and healthy this holiday season and happy holidays from the TVS family!